IN OBERVANCE OF NATIONAL GROUNDWATER AWARENESS WEEK, THE LAKE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT IS OFFERING A REDUCED WELL WATER TESTING FEE FOR HOMEOWNERS. PRICING WILL BE REDUCED FROM MARCH 6TH TO MARCH 17TH. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT THE LAKE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT AT 847-377-8020 IF YOU SHOULD HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.
Environmental Laboratory | Lake County, IL (lakecountyil.gov)
Cost Share Tree Planting Program
An Ordinance was passed establishing a cost sharing tree planting policy on private property in North Barrington. The Village recognizes the importance trees have in the community. The planting of trees provides benefits to the community including improved property values, reduction in carbon dioxide, provides food and shelter for wildlife, stabilizes soil from erosion, has a cooling effect through transpiration, and provides a natural buffer between homes and roadways.
A resident may request financial reimbursement from the Village for the planting of a tree on private property located within the Village. The Village will reimburse the property owner up to 50% of the actual cost of the purchase and planting of the tree or $300, whichever amount is less. Upon application, the following program guidelines shall apply:
- The quote must be from a nursery engaged in the business of selling and planting trees and include a one-year guarantee. The quote shall include the cost of the tree, species of the tree, caliper of the tree (minimum of 2 inches), planting cost of the tree and the one-year guarantee.
- The tree planting location must be marked by the owner and JULIE (homeowner is responsible to arrange), be in the front or side yard, not located in the ROW and approved by a Village official.
- One tree per year per residential address, applications will be first come first served and reimbursement is subject to the availability of Village funds.
Click here to view the Cost Sharing Tree Planting Application.
Vote By Mail Application - April 4, 2023
DEADLINE: MARCH 30, 2023
Did you know you can vote by mail for the upcoming election? Registered Lake County Voters may go to LakeVoterPower.info to request their ballot. Vote by mail application must be requested by March 30, 2023 and postmarked by April 4, 2023 for the April 4, 2023 Election.
If you are not registered, have moved, or changed your name, please contact the Voter Registration Department at (847) 377-8683 or 847-377-2410.
Village Board Repeals Vehicle Sticker Program
At the December 21, 2022 Board of Trustee meeting, the Village Board approved Ordinance No. 2022-14 repealing the Vehicle Sticker Program. The program was initiated in 1989 and required North Barrington residents to register their vehicles and receive a sticker to be displayed on the vehicle windshield before March 1 of each year. The cost ranged between $10.00 for motorcycles and $40.00 for recreational vehicles. The Village Board decided to eliminate the program for several reasons including the high administrative cost.
“The program was an inconvenience to the residents and administratively burdensome.”, said Village President, Eleanor Sweet McDonnell. It is estimated that each household will save on average $40.00 per year.
Please note that the elimination of the Vehicle Stickers does not change the annual golf cart registration requirements. Golf Cart owners must apply for an annual registration sticker and meet certain safety requirements.
The registration sticker must be displayed by March 31.
Tree of the Year Recognition Program
The Environmental and Health Commission is happy to announce the Tree of The Year Recognition program. In July, the Board of Trustees approved the program that will begin immediately. The Village Board recognizes the importance that trees have in the community and has established a tree preservation ordinance. The community has also received the designation of Tree City USA for the past 20 years.
The Tree of The Year program recognizes the value trees have in the community by mitigating the impacts of climate change by absorbing carbon dioxide, increasing property values, reducing energy costs, and improving mental and physical health to the Village residents.
If you want to nominate your tree for this recognition or if you know of a tree in the community that you feel has significant beauty, has a historical significance or a story of interest, or is of exceptional size, form, or rarity we encourage you to nominate the tree.
The winning tree will be announced and recognized at a public meeting in April 2023 during the Arbor Day celebration.
Program guidelines can be found here.
Please note the deadline for nominating a tree is November 1, 2022.
Feel free to start a nomination for the following year.
Click here for the Tree of the Year Nomination Form.
Golf Cart Registration
Golf Carts driven on public streets must be registered with the Village of North Barrington. All golf carts driven on public streets must meet the requirements stipulated in the Village Code. Application and instructions can be downloaded here.
- Must have a valid driver's license to operate a golf cart on a public street.
- Golf carts may only be driven on streets with a posted speed limit of 25 mph or lower.
- Applicants must provide a copy of insurance policy providing proof of liability insurance to operate the golf cart on a public street.
- Hours of Operation:
- Monday – Thursday: 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Friday – Saturday: 6:00 a.m. to Midnight
Questions can be directed to the Village Administrator, John A. Lobaito by telephone at (847) 381-6000 x10 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
SWALCO Special Materials Collections:
SWALCO will host monthly drop off events at the Gurnee facility to handle high demand items. Only the items below will be accepted. Business waste or unknown/unlabeled cylinders, canisters or containers will not be accepted items. Items are accepted by appointment. To make an appointment, visit swalco.org.
- Latex Paint (no oil based paints, varnishes or other)
- 1 quart or less $3.00 each, 1 gallon $4.50 each, 5 gallons $11.50 each.
- Single Use and Isobutane Propane Cylinders (small only) $4.25 each
- Fire Extinguishers (all sizes, makes and models) $3.00 each