National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II
The Clean Water Act Amendments of 1987 established the NPDES stormwater program. Phase I of the NPDES Stormwater program began in 1990 and required medium and large municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s) to obtain NPDES coverage. The expanded Phase II program began in March 2003 and required small MS4s in urbanized areas to obtain NPDES permits and implement six (6) minimum control measures.
- Public education and outreach on stormwater impacts
- Public involvement and participation
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site stormwater runoff control
- Post construction stormwater management in new development and redevelopment
- Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations
Addition information regarding the NPDES Program can be found by visiting Illinois EPA or US EPA websites.
lllinois EPA’s MS4
Illinois EPA (IEPA) has issued a new version of its NPDES Permit No. ILR40 (MS4 Permit). The new permit became effective on March 1, 2016. IEPA’s new permit contains a variety of new and modified requirements that will impact local stormwater management programs.
- Stormwater Best Practices
- Illicit Discharge Education and Elimination Video in English, (URL hyperlink).
- Video de Eliminación y Educación de Descargas Ilícitas in Spanish, (URL hyperlink).
- To report an illicit discharge, please contact Village Hall at (847) 381-6000 Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM, or call 9-1-1 to report an incident after-hours.
Village of North Barrington NPDES MS4 Program
Notice of Intent 2021
Lake County’s Qualified Local Program: